News, reviews and commentary on afrobeat and related music from Africa, The Caribbean and The Americas

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

DJ Thick: AfroFunk 1

By David Font-Navarrete

I've been experimenting with electronic music for the last seven years under the name Io (available through Elegua Records, CDBaby and iTunes). At some point -maybe at the Ambient Ping- I realized that Io was becoming a much more meditative ambient project, going further and further away from anything resembling funky music for dancing.

Well, I recently sold most of my electronic music hardware (sampler, synthesizers, etc) and switched to software-based technology (Audacity, Ableton Live, Reason, etc). This stage of my journey in sound has spawned a new persona: DJ Thick.

Why "DJ" (short for "disc jockey"), if there are no discs involved, vinyl or otherwise? Aren't there enough DJ names already in an impossibly long roster of musical cartoon characters? ... the thing is, Thick is a new group project: electro-acoustic roots music. I play electronics and percussion in Thick. So I'm the DJ for Thick ... thus, DJ Thick. No? As DJ Thick, I can do remixes and mashups, as derivative and ironic (or organic and original) as I want. Which brings us to today's post:

Fresh from my digital audio wonderland, here's a special dedication mashup for all you AfroFunk heads: DJ Thick - AfroFunk 1.

It's a 7.7 MB, 8'21", 128 kbps MP3 file, so folks on dialup should plan accordingly.

Here's the list of ingredients:
Zap Mama- Wadidyousay?
Chopteeth- We Dey Chop
Babatunde Olatunji & Charles Payne- Soul Makossa
Tom Tom Club- Genius of Love
Herbie Hancock- Chameleon
C.K. Mann & Carousel 7- Funky Hilife (E flat)
Bell Telephone Laboratories- How We Hear
Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings- Pick It Up to Lay It in the Cut

At this page, you'll also find two longer mixes from sets at my friend Xochi's birthday bash, one of the best parties I've ever been to ... Thanks again, Xochi!!!

If you like what you hear, let me know! Much more on the way, so stay tuned ...

No comments:

Post a Comment