News, reviews and commentary on afrobeat and related music from Africa, The Caribbean and The Americas

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mulatu Astatke: Ethiopian Cool

By Michael Shereikis

Buda Music is a French label that's been releasing some really excellent re-issues, live concert recordings, and musical eclectica from all over. Their catalog is truly wonderful. In particular though, their "Ethiopiques" series has been a revelation for me. I had no idea this sound was so vibrant in Ethiopia in the 60s-70s. This is some very cool stuff, very suave, yet somehow maintaining an edge. I'm listening to Ethiopiques vol.4: Ethio jazz & musiques instrumentale, 1969-1974 today as I paint my living room, and it's getting me through just fine. It features the instrumental big band sound of Mulatu Astatke, king of the ethio jazz movement. If you mix in a little TP OK Jazz, you can paint for hours...

Check out Mulatu Astatke on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment